Tuesday, January 09, 2007

I have antlers now! On my quest to find a massive moosehead, Connie and I made a stop at the largest flea market I've ever seen. Among the handmade crafts crap, AKC registered puppies and various garage sale items, I searched for a majestic moosehead to hang on my wall. Why? To hang retired Connies, of course. Alas, I did not find that prized piece of taxidermy treasure. Connie and I did, however, find a neglected set of deer antlers, a groovy kitchen table and swizzle sticks. Lots and lots of swizzle sticks. I put my own spin on the antlers. They're perfect for hanging a stocking when you don't have a mantel. FYI: Oxy-Clean is best for getting antlers their whitest. I made a tabletop to display the swizzle sticks. Connie left her mark, but you have to look close to see it. The swizzle sticks are encased in epoxy. I think it will make a nice cocktail table. I'm still searching for a great big moosehead. Or a sailfish. Or caribou antlers. Where did the recent interest in taxidermy begin? I just think they're neat. Well, that.....and Brian Wiprud just makes it sound cool. I suggest checking out a couple of his books if you're in the mood for a smart, entertaining read. (even if you don't like taxidermy) A friend heard that I was looking for horns and rescued a couple sets of antlers that had been abandoned in a garage. They will make a nice addition to my den.



























No comments: